Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce

Growing up, I remember my Mom making spaghetti sauce in the crockpot. It would cook for hours and the whole house would smell delicious. Nowadays, she doctors up some Prego and calls it a day. She's a busy woman with a house full of people to feed so I can't say that I blame her, but there is just no substitute from the real thing. This recipe is one that I have adapted to my liking over the years. It is usually just me standing over my crock pot throwing stuff in, tasting, adding more, etc. until I like it, but yesterday I scribbled it all down to be able to share.

Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce

2- 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
1 large bell pepper - diced
1 large sweet onion - diced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound browned ground chuck
3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 cup sugar

Heat large frying pan over medium heat. Drizzle in olive oil and add all vegetables. Cook 8-10 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, add 2 cans crushed tomatoes to a cold crockpot. Stir in seasonings and sugar. When veggies are cooked, stir into the sauce and turn on the crockpot.
Brown ground beef and add to the sauce.
Cook on high for 1-3 hours, or low 4-6 hours.

TIPS:
-If you have time, cook on low to allow all the flavors to mingle and also your house will smell terrific.
-I have also tried Splenda in this sauce and it works just fine.
-I usually double this recipe. Before I am ready to cook that nights spaghetti, I scoop out half of the sauce and cool and freeze it for the next Italian night.


We use a whole wheat pasta with this. It makes us feel a little better about eating spaghetti in the first place and we can't taste a difference. If you have never tried whole wheat pasta before, give it a try. We like Ronzoni Healthy Harvest.

Tomorrow...meatballs!!!


~Nicole

No comments: